This is an informal survey of developer attitude towards the level of control they have over their development environment, specifically the ability to use escalated privilege (e.g., admin access) to install software.
In some organisations, developers have ongoing full administrative access over their environments. Note: this could be a physical environment (e.g., desktop, laptop) or a virtual one (e.g., a VM) accessible via a physical one.
In other places, that access might be restricted via software and/or to a limited set of people (e.g., a team lead).
In yet other places, developers have no administrative access to install software beyond the Standard Operating Environment (SOE) that comes on day 1.
My question is:
- How important is this level of access to you as a developer?
- Does your employer restrict access to your environment?
- How is this access restricted?
- Does it impede your productivity as a developer?
- Would you ask this question prior to taking a job with an employee?