In a scenario where the market differentiation of a product can lead to its acceptance by the customers and profitability for the company, ensuring its quality is of paramount importance. Test automation has emerged as the key process in verifying and validating the quality of a software application. The parameters tested with this process include performance, security, regression, usability, and others. Even though test automation has many positives vis-à-vis manual testing, writing scripts for the same can be a challenge.
So, when automation is slowly embraced in many spheres of the digital ecosystem, why script writing should remain a manual activity? This calls for adopting the approach of scriptless test automation to make the automation activity less complex. Moreover, since codeless automation testing does not require expertise with a particular programming language, test specialists can focus on the aspects of quality improvement. This reduces time and effort for the testers besides ensuring better maintainability of the changing requirements.
The scriptless or codeless nature of test automation approach enables other stakeholders like business analysts or functional experts to communicate with the testers and review test cases. The benefits of conducting scriptless automated testing are as follows:
Faster automation: The faster you automate the testing process, the quicker will be the product release. The scriptless process can automate large test cases faster thereby shortening the delivery turnaround time to the market. Scriptless test automation can reduce the total time spent on automating the test and as a result, reduces the cost of testing. The time thus saved can be used to improve test coverage and ensure better detection of bugs. Overall, the scriptless process of automated testing can drive effective shift-left testing.
Better participation of SMEs and other stakeholders: Coding can be a challenge for non-technical stakeholders who do not have the requisite knowledge of any programming language. However, with scriptless test automation, Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) and business analysts can participate in devising the test automation strategy. This helps to bridge the gap between technical processes and business logic thereby making the product more aligned to the needs of the industry.
Removes script maintenance cost and effort: Integrating scriptless test automation tools can eliminate the time and effort put into script maintenance.
The ease of development and increased participation of other stakeholders in the SDLC brought about by scriptless automated testing depend on the usage of the following tools:
(i) TestCraft: This AI-based scriptless test automation framework is used for regression and continuous testing besides monitoring web applications. It uses a unique visual modelling approach to create and execute tests faster and eliminates overheads related to test maintenance.
- Does not require any programming skills from the testers and leverages their business knowledge to create test scenarios
- The AI helps scripts to be adjusted automatically to the changes
- Reduces/eliminates the maintenance costs
- Based on Selenium, TestCraft can easily integrate the modules developed by the larger Selenium community
(ii) Ranorex: Combining a full IDE for VB.NET or C#, this scriptless test automation platform has an easy to use ‘click-and-go’ interface thereby making it both easy and powerful for beginners and specialists.
- Allows cross-browser testing and robust reporting
- Facilitates end-to-end testing on web, mobile, and desktop with a functional UI
- Can run tests remotely, locally or in parallel on a Selenium grid
- Conducts test for both iOS and Android mobile platforms
- Can easily integrate with leading test solutions like TestRail, Bamboo, Jenkins, Git, NeoLoad and others.
(iii) TestProject: This free cloud-based scriptless test automation platform allows testers to validate Android, iOS, and web-based applications, effortlessly. Its built-in recording capability and powerful SDK help to develop and use add-ons for free.
- No coding skills required by the testers
- Seamless integration with the CI/CD pipeline
- Create, share, and use add-ons
- No complex setup of test architecture \
(iv) ACCELQ: This cloud-based codeless automation testing framework allows seamless automation of APIs and continuous testing.
- Flexible to changes and facilitates rapid development and testing of software
- No coding knowledge required even to handle the most complex automation tasks
- Enables CI/CD with seamless integration to test solutions like Jenkins, Jira, AzureDevOps, and others
- Offers support for Salesforce test automation, lighting, and custom objects
- Offers test automation support for API, database, PDF, web, and others
(v) Zephyr: This scriptless test automation tool offers end-to-end test solutions for agile teams in the form of better visibility, insights, and flexibility.
- Seamless integration with test tools like Jenkins, Bamboo, Jira, Confluence, and others
- Offers options for deployment to cloud, data centre or server
- Offers dashboards with advanced analytics
Notwithstanding the myriad benefits of scriptless test automation tools, it is important to choose a tool that supports your test automation needs. Moreover, not all types of tests should be subjected to automation as the outcomes might not be consistent with the expected results.