Like certainly many of you, I am unfortunately confined for an indefinite period in order to reduce the spread of this terrible coronavirus.
Moreover, the project I'm working on at Decathlon has just gone into standby and so I now have before me a very rare resource to exploit: time.
In this article, I will therefore share with you my to do list for this confinement.
Because yes, this is the perfect opportunity to do all the things that we usually reject due to lack of time!
I hope this will inspire you, I would be delighted to have your to do list in comments, we could improve this article together :-)
A lot of cool things to do! 😃 Let's wrap it in a Table Of Contents.
- Reading 📖
- Learning technologies 🤓
- Working on Open Source projects 💻
- Improving my website 🖥
- Improving productivity 🚀
- Improving my english 🇬🇧
- (Remote) family time 👨👩👧👦
- Cooking 🍰
- Gardening 🍃
- Cleaning & Tidying up 🧽
- Building things 🛠
- Gaming 🎮
- BONUS: Reading on DEV.to 📖
With the daily grind and the whole of the tasks to be carried out more priority, I always carried over a lot of book that I have to read.
So here is my program:
- The Manager's Path: A Guide for Tech Leaders Navigating Growth and Change by Camille Fournier
- The Age of Access: The New Culture of Hypercapitalism, Where All of Life Is a Paid-For Experience by Jeremy Rifkin
- Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki
- Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't by Jim Collins
- 🇫🇷 Stratégie Modèle Mental: Cracker enfin le code des organisations pour les remettre en mouvement by Béatrice Rousset & Philippe Silberzahn
This is the perfect time to advance my Trello board "Learn, learn, learn".
Here is what technologies I have planned to learn:
- TailwindCSS - A utility-first CSS framework for rapidly building custom designs.
- Figma - A collaborative design tool
- ES2020 - ECMAScript® 2020 Language Specification
- Kubernetes - A Production-Grade Container Orchestration
It's also the perfect time to move forward on open source projects that we love but that we never really have time to look into.
Here are the projects I have planned to contribute during the confinement:
- Code Notes - A simple code snippet & gist manager for developers built with Electron & Vue.js
- Decathlon Open Source projects - GitHub Actions and projects for Sport & Tech lovers
- Decathlon Open APIs - APIs for Sports, Sports Activities, Sports Places and many more!
- Storybook - UI component dev & test: React, Vue, Angular, React Native, Ember, Web Components & more!
For this, I will use the DEV API (beta)
In order to bounce back even faster and be more efficient when I return to work, I will take this opportunity to look at lots of tips regarding productivity:
- Alfred App - Productivity App for macOS
- Todoist - A To-do list application
- Spectacle App - Move and resize windows with ease
- VSCode extensions - Visual Studio Code extensions to help your productivity
In my personal development plan, I also plan to improve in English this year, so I will take the opportunity to do this during this confinement.
For that, I will use:
- Mosalingua - App for learning vocabulary with a Spaced Repetition System
- TED talks - Ideas worth spreading
Confinement is also a time to spend quality time with your family. Whether at home with my spouse or on video with my loved ones, this is my program:
- Watching series & movies on TV, Netflix or Amazon Prime Video
- Sports at home on Decathlon E Club
- Visio with family & friends on Facebook Messenger
Not necessarily being very strong at the kitchen level, I will take the opportunity to make some recipes in my "Monsieur Cuisine Connect":
- Rigatoni with beef ragout
- Spicy mince with tomatoes, red pepper and onions
- Chocolate and coffee cream
- Soft raspberry ice-cream
- Crème brûlée
- Apple cake
March is perfect for working in the garden (if you have one). Here's what I plan to do: remove the weeds, mow the lawn & plant new flowers. What improve me too because I do not necessarily have a green thumb!
It is really time to clean the whole house and put away the famous attic, a task that I have always postponed. Let's go!
Confinement makes me want to build DIY things with simple materials at my disposal!
Here is what I plan to study:
It's also time to have fun while playing! An activity that I rarely do usually:
I have a LOT of articles in my reading list that I intend to read during this confinement.
Here is an exerpt:
- Useful Tools for Developers by Lucas Bittencourt
- A Journey with GraphQL by Ryan Doyle
- CSS Grid: illustrated introduction by Mustapha Aouas
- Everything you need to know about React Hooks by Carl Vitullo
- Learning to Read Music with the Web MIDI API by Jan Kleinert
- What’s your favorite JS interview question? by Emma Bostian
Here! As I was able to indicate to you, do not hesitate to share with me what you plan to do during this confinement. This article will be alive and ready to welcome lots of ideas from you!
Finally, I wanted to give my full support to all the nursing staff and to those who work hard so that we can continue to live.
Thank you so much ❤️