After reading on LinkedIn and Twitter that people identified with more than one of the Heroic Software Developer classes, I created a quiz to make it easy to figure out which classes you belonged to. To demonstrate how the quiz works, I took the test myself and here are my results (the featured image of this post also shows my results):
- 75% Assassin - I missed getting 100% on this because of my stance on not sacrificing code quality for speed, which comes from past experiences of being burned over the long-term from such decisions.
- 60% Telepath - I wouldn't say I am super-aggressive with my requirements interrogations, but I make sure the key questions are answered. Beyond that, I've got a good track record of filling in the blanks.
- 0% Tank - I always need someone to tank for me, as I am miserable sitting in meetings.
- 60% Hunter - I generally don't ask permission to fix bugs I find, but I don't actively seek them out beyond whatever I'm working on.
- 100% Wizard - I would caveat this with me being fairly good at the things I'm fairly good at, but there are many fields of computing that are currently well beyond my reach.
- 25% Ranger - The only reason this wasn't 0% is that I do have a deep skepticism of new technologies, but I never seek them out. I have a circle of close colleagues who make sure I am aware of the latest trends, and without them, I'd be in the stone ages.
- 100% Healer - This isn't surprising. I'm notorious for massive rewrites and refactorings. A colleague once described my approach as, "Nuking a codebase from orbit," to which I replied, "it's the only way to be sure."
- 33% Mechanic - While I design frameworks for other developers, I run screaming from dev ops in all of its various flavors.
- 100% Ghost - My hermit-like working style is one of my more curious attributes. If you read Deep Work it will all make sense.
- 100% Shapeshifter - I've run my own company twice, and beyond that have worked for three startups, so I had to learn to do a bunch of stuff besides coding.
- 100% Sage - 22 years of experience in the same profession has its benefits.
- 100% Rogue - I've got stories that would put your hair on end, but suffice to say, I don't have a discernible trace of risk aversion.
Now that you've learned about me, I'm interested in learning about you. I invite you to take the quiz yourself and share your results in the comments. You can copy-and-paste your quiz results URL to share it with other people.
Finally, a few questions for the community:
- How accurate do you feel the quiz is in describing you as a software developer?
- Is this a helpful way to get to know other software developers?