Opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect that of my employer
Guess I should poke my head out every once in a while and type up a post. An idea that I've been tossing around in my head is the odd feeling of not feeling impostor syndrome.
People always talk about dealing with impostor syndrome, feeling like they don't belong at their role when they're outside of their comfort zone.
With that said, I can say I've been in many situations where I had no clue what to do, muttered some cliched "One problem at a time", and did a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I've failed a lot. Like A LOT. In fact, just recently I've completely overlooked an architectural mistake during initial development and it hit me like jamming your pinky toe on furniture in the dark.
So here I was... the last 10% of my feature won't work cause of a mistake spread throughout the other 90%. Now I'm not exactly known as the paragon of a React developer at work - and I had to take apart most of my work to finish my feature. Oh and I had 5 hrs left.
There was some tense moments, but I managed to pull everything together at the end... Literally
To others it looked like I started with nothing showable at morning standup, then I magically puked out a working feature at the end of the day.
To some, they may look back and feel inadequate for making a costly mistake.
For me, it was just Tuesday.
I've been on a weird streak lately where it appears as if I've been rolling natural 20s on my skill checks.
"Complete a project in 8 weeks with a development team one-third the size of the previous team?" Done
"Make a shareable repository that multiple teams and projects can utilize? Oh and it hasn't been done here yet?" Passed with great praise
With each passing success, I fear that because I don't feel impostor syndrome, I may project an aura of arrogance to my peers. If I don't say how I feel like I shouldn't be a developer just cause I've forgotten the usage of
.call() or I still have to lookup
transition properties, that I'm unaware of my blindspots.
Those that were hoping for some insightful solution will probably come away disappointed, cause I don't have any (sorry!). I don't want to make anyone feel discouraged as a developer just because I know a few more things - at the same time, I don't think downplaying one's achievements is the best way to uplift the self-confidence of others.
Ah well, I'll figure it out as I go along ¯\_(ツ)_/¯