This is a PowerShell tutorial where we are going to see Microsoft Powershell. Microsoft Powershell is:
- Task automation and configuration management framework.
- It has command-line shells and associated scripting language.
- The command-line shells and the scripting languages are built on .NET and .NET Core.
- It enables users to do bulk operations.
- We can type in command line commands in power shell.
- At the end of the day, Powershell is a language. It is not programming language but it is a language indeed.
- The programming language is like programming in object-oriented programming language because PowerShell leverages the .NET Framework.
- IT professionals can administer things much faster with better precision using PowerShell.
- PowerShell can directly interact with SharePoint Server 2016.
- PowerShell can manipulate the Web Applications , Site Collections , Sites , Lists and much more.
- PowerShell can access the UI of any product without any problem.
- There are also areas where there is no UI in the product and there is no way of accessing it. The best way to deal with the situation is to use PowerShell. Sometimes PowerShell is the only way to do it as well.
Clearly PowerShell is a very sophisticated tool and it is necessary for large scale complex tasks. The above points give us an idea of how to use PowerShell. If you want to know how to use PowerShell comprehensively, please stay tuned to TecKangaroo.
There are several ways to launch PowerShell on Windows and the two main ways are given below.
- Press the start button.
- Enter PowerShell.
- Press Enter.
- Press the start button.
- Type cmd.
- enter powershell.exe
- When you see the PS before the prompt, you can know that you are entering on a PowerShell terminal.
It is easy to install the latest PowerShell by copy-pasting this command into the PowerShell terminal.
dotnet tool install –global PowerShell
You can easily check the installation version number using the following command
You can check the version number with elevated permissions using the following command also.
In PowerShell tutorial, we learned that PowerShell is a very powerful tool that comes with windows. It is extremely useful for IT administration purposes. It can interact with Web applications. It can interact with a product that does not even have UI. It must be used for bulk data handling. In a situation where one company acquires another, the migration of user data takes place using PowerShell.
For more posts related to PowerShell, please stay tuned to TecKangaroo.