Photo by Joshua Earle on Unsplash
I had some thoughts about this post quite some time but wasn't sure how to frame it. This tweet helped me
Subseconds build time
Did you see OCaml (you may know it as ResonML or BuckleScript) compiler in action? It caches everything as binary, so consequent builds are like 20 milliseconds. This is totally astonishing. Can not wait to see something like this for JS.
Maybe https://pax.js.org/? Who knows...
Automatic code splitting
Jamie K 🏳️🌈@jamiebuildsThe big experiment we're going to run in Parcel 2 is giving you no power to manually define your code splitting. You just write your code.
Instead the bundler will make all the decisions for you through a plugin system.
We'll see if the community can make computers beat humans.17:44 PM - 06 Jul 2018
This will pair nicely with React Suspense
Dan Abramov@dan_abramov@wycats @TheLarkInn @slightlylate @AdamRackis @sincerely_tegan This means that you can code split more at any point in time — for example to load ModalHeader — without worrying about changing design. You already have a Placeholder. It will wait for both ModalHeader and Autocomplete as it tries to render Modal.01:55 AM - 13 Sep 2018
Per browser builds
@sitnikcode started this crusade called browserslist (correct me if I'm wrong). Imagine you specify which browser you want to support and compiler (transpiler) will provide builds for each browser in the list with all required polyfills with all required changes to CSS and you can use small script in Lambda@Edge or Cloudflare-Worker to serve appropriate assets at the edge of CDN. Or compiler will fail if your code is not compilable (transpilable) for given browsers.
Also, it would be nice if it would compile it down to ES6
Rich Harris@rich_harrisExplanation: ESM lets us ship a lot less code (switching from webpack to Rollup reduced JS payload by **25%**), and 70% of users can use modules (including dynamic import()) natively according to caniuse. For the remaining 30% we're using Shimport — github.com/Rich-Harris/sh…15:58 PM - 08 Sep 2018
For the reference, here is how builds per browse can look like preact-hn webpack config
What do you dream about?
What is the most expected thing for you?