Git can seem overwhelming, but while performing typical day-to-day tasks, you'll use only about ten commands. If you happen to use Oh My ZSH, the included
git plugin adds many aliases. Below each command, I've included the corresponding alias.
# Start a new branch for a new feature git checkout -b new-feature gcb new-feature # Commit as you make changes (the --all adds changed files to # `staging`) git commit --all --message "your commit message" gcam "your commit message" # Add new or deleted files to `staging` (the `git commit # --all` above only adds tracked files) git add --all gaa # Check the status of your branch/commits git status gst # Switch branches git checkout branch-name gco branch-name # Separate `git` plugin alias to switch back to master gcm # See what has changed (maybe done prior to committing, include # the `--cached` flag to see what has changed in `staging`) git diff gd # Pull new changes down from remote (Github/Gitlab/etc.) git pull gl # Push changes to remote git push --set-upstream origin gpsup # Merge changes from another branch into the current one git merge other-branch-name gm other-branch-name # Or, if you prefer rebase, git rebase -i other-branch-name grbi other-branch-name
And that's it! 95% of the time, you'll use these commands. Google was invented for the remaining 5% 😉