The REGSVR32 windows command-line tool is to Register and Unregister OLE control. To know more about this command, read further.
CMD Line is a ** text-based interface** that transfers the command from the user to the OS.
The command-line interpreter (CLI) for windows is CMD.EXE. Also, you can use PowerShell, which can automate many system administration tasks and these tasks are not approachable in command prompt. With the help of the CLI, you can communicate with your system by typing the text in commands. As a result, your system answers to the text that you have typed previously, and then the user can proceed with the following command line that shows up.
Run command window helps you to run programs, open the files and folders. And there are several ways to open up the run command dialogue box. This run command box is helpful for you to head straight to the destined program quickly.
By using the Keyboard shortcut Key:
The shortcut key method to the run command box is the most commonly used one. Also, this method is in all versions of Windows. It would help if you pressed the Windows+ R ** ** key concurrently to open the Run command dialogue box.
As we mentioned previously, the REGSRV32 windows command-line tool is to register or unregister a DLL. This command-line utility job is to register, or Unregister OLE controls like DLLs and ActiveX control in the Windows registry.
REGSVR32 [/U] [/S] [/N] [/e] /I:[CmdLine] DLLName
- CmdLine – It is an optional command line for DllInstall.
- default – With no other options : Register server by calling DLLRegisterServer.
- /i – This key is to call DllInstall(TRUE,[cmdline]) to ** install the DLL**. If the installation was successful, also call DLLRegisterServer.
- /U – ** Unregisters Server** by calling DLLUnRegisterServer.
- /n /i – This key is to call DllInstall to install the DLL , but not call DllRegisterServer.
- /U /i – Calls DllInstall(FALSE,[cmdline]) to uninstall the DLL, if the uninstallation was successful also call DLLUnRegisterServer.
- /U /n /i – Call DllInstall(FALSE,[cmdline]) to uninstall the DLL, but do not call DllUnRegisterServer.
- /s – Silents , do not display any ** dialogue boxes**.
- /e – Silents, ** do not display a success message** for DllRegisterServer (undocumented).
- DLLName- Specifies the path to the DLL to call the entry point on. This DLL is required to export the entry points that will be called depending on the selected option.
Elevated Permissions are required for the REGSRV32 Command.
Only in Internet Explorer can you execute ActiveX controls as it is disapproved.
| DllInstall | It is used only for application installation, and setup and an application should not call it. |
| DllRegisterServer | Instructs an in-process server to create its registry entries for all classes supported in the module. |
| DllUnregisterServer | Instructs and in-process server to remove only those entries created through DllRegisterServer. |
- If you run the REGSRV32 dllname.dll while the file is already registered, a pop-up message will appear.
The module ModuleName was loaded, but the Entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found.
- There are two versions of the REGSRV.exe File on a 64-bit version.
The 64-bit version is %systemroot%\System32\regsvr32.exe The 32-bit version is %systemroot%\SysWoW64\regsvr32.exe
- Open a command prompt with elevated permissions to use the 32-bit version of Regsvr32 to register a 32-bit DLL on a 64-bit version. Use this below command.
- To unregister CAB file viewer, you can use
REGSVR32 /u C:\Windows\System32\cabview.dll
- In order to register CAB file, viewers use
Through this article, you would have learned about the REGSRV32 command. If you have any suggestions or questions regarding this article, let us know in the comment section, we will update it to you shortly.
- REGSVR32 Command: Registers/Unregisters a DLL The REGSRV32 windows command-line tool is to register or unregister a DLL.
- REGEDIT Command: Import/Exports Registry Settings The REGEDIT windows command-line tool is to import and export registry settings.
- RECOVER Command: Recovers the damaged file The RECOVER windows command-line tool is to recover the damaged file from a defective disk.
- PsShutdown Command: Shutdown/Reboots the computer The PsShutdown command line shutdowns or else reboots a local or remote computer from the command line.
- ADmodcmd Windows Command: Active Directory bulk modifying Tool We have shown you about the ADmodmd.exe command line that works as an active Directory bulk modify tool.