Around 1985 (I was 5), besides POKEing values to change the background colours my first real attempt was to copy a listing from some C64 Basic book to have a game shooting targets on the screen. It was about 8 pages of densely packed basic code and I entered everything carefully.
It didn't work. Nothing appeared on the screen but it didn't error out either. I realised that the cause could be anywhere in the code I just spent an hour or so typing in and that I didn't actually understand what it was doing.
Given the screenshot in the book of essentially a simple target on screen I didn't feel it was really worth spending more time with it but I still felt satisfied that it started at all. Code was running and doing something. This was the (first and) last time I copied over code from printed media though.
We're a place where coders share, stay up-to-date and grow their careers.
We strive for transparency and don't collect excess data.