I interned at LinkedIn the summer before I graduated.
In the last week, they gave me an offer to return full-time after graduating. Not everyone has this chance.
56% of interns get an offer to return full-time. Internships are the best way to get your first job. Unfortunately, under-privileged students can't afford to take on unpaid internships.
At Levels.fyi, our mission is to help people make better career decisions. We're launching our Internships page (https://www.levels.fyi/internships/) today to help students start their careers. I've gathered some quick tips below:
💡 Internship Tips:
- Apply Early - Aug. through Dec. of previous year
- Apply Everywhere - I applied to over 100 internships and was accepted to less than 3
- Get a Referral - It's likely the largest factor why I got one. Comment if you'd like advice on this.
- Prepare - Focus on the raw skills. For Software interns, this means data structures & algorithms problems.
- Deliver - Internships are the time to push. Make it easy for your mentor / manager to give you an offer by going above and beyond.