DEV Community

Discussion on: Full-Stack Developer Vs Software Engineer

attkinsonjakob profile image
Jakob Attkinson

Software Enginner is an academic degree that you get once you graduate from technical universities.

Full-stack developer is a self-imposed title based on the experience one has in the line of work.

So, if you graduated from a faculty like computer science and have the experience with all the stuff you mentioned above i guess you can consider yourself a full-stack software engineer?

andrewbaisden profile image
Andrew Baisden Author

Good question. Ironically the title Full-Stack Software Engineer actually exists. I was looking on a job board and for one role it was purely the MERN stack they were using. So everyone has a different interpretation of what it means.

I also found another posting which mentioned mostly a web technical stack but then they said a love of software and coding.