I have a couple of mailboxes to manage because I created dedicated mail accounts on my own domain for shopping, newsletters and other stuff to simplify the management and make accounts a bit more secure.
To manage all the mailboxes, I use Thunderbird on Windows clients and Evolution mail on linux clients.
Even Thunderbird and EvolutionMail have good ways to filter messages, I want to be more in control and want to write a little script to define criteria to filter and move messages to folders. I already started such a project with Python and the IMAP library some time ago but lost the interest to handle all the cases with storing flags and stuff.
The following should be possible:
- Authenticate on IMAP Server via SSL
- Fetch available folders
- Fetch messages in folders
- Get stats for messages (flags, read/unread, junk, etc.)
- Set stats for messages (flags, read/unread, junk, etc.)
- Move messages to different (existing) folder
The goal is to have as less effort as possible.
So which library / packages / approaches would you recommend for this type of project?