Top Tools for Implementing Serverless in 2020
Adopting Serverless may be challenging because its new, and in some ways, it is complicated. 2020 marks the 6th year of AWS Lambda, also known as the birth of Serverless architecture.
Serverless computing has developed with time and there are numerous tools available for implementing Serverless. Let us take you through some of the best tools for implementing Serverless in 2020.
You might be thinking — Why people talk more and more about Serverless? Well, Serverless architecture is scalable, flexible, and affordable. Its the best possible solution for your company’s architecture management.
You can read more about Serverless in our post: Link
In this post we are sharing some of the best Serverless solutions for 2020 below:
- AWS Lambda — Serverless Computing AWS Lambda is one of the most popular serverless services. It defines the core values of Serverless — no need to worry about the servers and pay only for your consumption. Serverless allows you to run code for virtually any type of app or backend service. Each Lambda function runs in its own container. AWS Lambda is used where tasks are self-contained, or individual tasks run for a long time. It is also beneficial when there is a large difference between the lowest and highest levels of application. AWS Lambda supports most of the languages and runtimes, if not all.
- Alibaba Functions: Alibaba Functions offers 1 million requests for free per month. It is more than just a FaaS (Function as a Service). Alibaba Functions manages your code as well as infrastructure. It supports languages like Node.JS, Python, Java, etc. It is a fully-managed and event-driven service. Alibaba Functions is a low-cost compute functions that are also highly reliable. Other than programming languages, it also supports triggers.
- Oracle Functions: Oracle Functions are ideal for those organizations that are looking for a container-based option for serverless deployment. It is easy to build and deploy Oracle Functions because all functions are packaged as docker containers. Users can build functions that will run in the Oracle Functions service or in Fn Project-based deployment. This means there are fewer chances of lock-in. Oracle Functions offers auto-scaling and integration with the wider Oracle Cloud Infrastructure. It also provides additional capabilities like identity and access control.
- Knative : Knative is an open-source service that adds components for deploying, running, and managing serverless applications. Just like any other serverless service, it allows the developers to run code without having to worry about servers and infrastructure. The three primary components of Knative are Build, Serving, and Eventing. It runs on any Kubernetes platform. Knative is managed by companies like RedHat, Google, and IBM.
- Kinvey : kinvey helps developers to deliver their mobile, website, and chat applications to their customers in a quick and convenient way. Kinvey is innovative and a little different from other platforms. It offers no code or low code microservices. Some of the principal features of Kinvey includes serverless backend, easy authentication, code sharing, angular and native script, and data pipeline. It will save you a lot of time. Also, the drag and drop builder can make things easier for you to connect backend services to your application. Kinvey can be considered as the fastest way to develop high-tech solutions.
- IBM Cloud Functions: IBM Cloud Functions are based on Apache OpenWhisk and is an open-source service. The biggest advantage of IBM Cloud Functions is that it can be installed on-premise. Thus. it offers a lot more control over your serverless applications. It provides an open and portable serverless model that can run in the IBM cloud as well as other deployment options. Events can be triggered from other IBM Cloud services or via a REST API which makes it more extensible.
Although it is not possible to cover everything that Serverless computing offers in a single post. But here we have tried to include some of the best-known solutions for implementing Serverless in 2020.
PS: This post was originally published at : https://devopscurry.com/some-popular-serverless-solutions-in-2020/