DEV Community

irenejoeunpark
irenejoeunpark

Posted on • Updated on

Working on other's project

The second lab of the course was to work on other people's project to add a feature for processing markdown. The point of the lab was communicate and collaborate.

I had a miscommunication which I did not publicly posted that I got a partner, and because there were no issue created on my repo, two students had to work on my repo as well. I learned the importance of communication and publication in open source development. Luckily there were no merge conflict, but if they worked on the same feature, I would have a big merge conflict.
https://github.com/irenejoeunpark/ssgApplication/pull/13
You will be able to see the changes for strong feature on md on this one.
https://github.com/irenejoeunpark/ssgApplication/pull/10
And you'll find the heading feature from this PR.

My project was written in Java, and my partner's project was written in C# with ASP.NET core. I had zero experience on C#, so I had to study the syntax and some functions in the library. Since the code was neat and clear on the functions, I was able to follow Diana's coding style and successfully added header feature for markdown. My code was to convert "#" to h1 heading in html. After few tests Diana accepted my Pull Request and the feature is added to her project.
https://github.com/dbelokon/glazed-donut/pull/7

Discussion (0)