Welcome to my Weekly Round-up #2! In keeping with the theme, this will be what I accomplished in the past week in my coding journey.
In a nutshell, flexbox is starting to make sense. Woot woot! I've been putting in a lot of practice and tutorial watching. This week I stumbled across a screencast tutorial site, Scrimba.
The really cool thing about Scrimba, if you haven't already heard about it, is the fact that you can mess with the code right there inside the tutorial. Simply pause the video and take over on the code editing. When you're ready to resume the tutorial just click play and you're back to watching the instructor.
Now, it's time for what you're all waiting for, how my week went.
- Saturday - I went through a few more flexbox tutorials with Wes Boss, and then decided to get started on my responsive website project.
- Sunday - Didn't code today. I went and spent some time with my grandpa since it was his birthday. Later I made sure the technology I was going to use for the Financial Peace University course I'm coordinating functioned properly.
- Monday - Learned some cool stuff today. I worked on a mobile friendly flexbox navigation menu. Figured out how to use media queries for mobile responsiveness. I also utilized jQuery to open/close the menu.
- Tuesday - Finally got the bugs in the menu worked out. Worked on adding content to the website. I figured out how to embed a Google calendar, which was super awesome(albeit rather simple)! Submitted the website for review.
- Wednesday - Took the night off from coding to spend time with my girls.
- Thursday - Today is the day I discovered Scrimba. I worked through the flexbox tutorial they have. During that tutorial learned a more precise way to control child elements with .container > div:nth-child(1). Flexbox is starting to click as of today.
Thanks for taking the time to read this. It's really appreciated. I know I've got a long way to go, but I'll get there. It's like eating an elephant, just gotta do it one "byte" at a time. (Shout out to Sean over at RabbitWerks for that one.)
Let's Code < Don't forget to check out this awesome Discord server.
Scrimba < Head on over for some great tutorials.
Wes Bos < And check out all the cool stuff this guy has going on.
RabbitWerks < If you're trying to find a framework, and might be interested in Vue.js, go check out Sean's Vue.js tutorials.