A good on-boarding can
- help feel the developer welcomed in the team
- provide the developer an overview about how the teams work, best practices, team culture etc...
- help him find his way around his first project. It's hard to imagine someone new, will be able to figure out everything on his own.
- give faces to names. A face to face engagement is good opportunity for the team to meet the new guy and vice-versa.
What is it about?
- Culture communication and etiquette
- Coding standards
- Internal system and processes
- People and contacts
How to do it?
- Meetings, lunch
- Pair Programming
Here is what this checklist may look like.
Before Start day
- Setup Access. SCM, CI/CD, Slack, JIRA etc ...
- Intro Team
- Up to speed into ongoing projects.
- Knowledge sharing.
- Team lunch
- ... and so on
The above is a template to exemplify the idea, You should make your own itinerary that works best for your organisation/team
Although it might take time and effort from the team to prepare this, it is a superb investment in your next star "employee of the month". First impressions matter.
- Atlassian employee onboarding (super detailed)
- Something targetted for remote developers
Top comments (0)