Don't give up. Keep Iterating.
Every single time that I work on any creative endeavor the same process will unfold:
- I get this idea about something that I could build, write, draw, do and I become incredibly excited and brimming with enthusiasm.
- I build up the idea in my head into something awesome. A delightful and beautiful masterpiece. I envision how cool it'll be when I finish it.
- I create the first version and, invariably, it sucks.
- Boom! Humongous Anticlimax. I get stressed, frustrated and/or slightly depressed depending of the day. I question my skill, value and worth: If this sucks then I must suck as well.
- Now I have choice. I can remain in this pit of despair, I can give up, or I can get my shit together and keep iterating.
- Invariably again, consistent iteration will result in something much, much better. And sometimes, even something remarkable.
So don't give up just yet. Iterate. That piece of ugly and amorphous stone you have right there might just turn into a beautiful shiny diamond.
Update 6th January: Dan just shared this on twitter. So much more awesome than this article! :D
Dan Budiac@dansays@Vintharas Your latest post on iteration reminds me of this tweet. I have it written on my whiteboard as a reminder.
twitter.com/marcusromer/st…13:01 PM - 06 Jan 2019Marcus Romer @MarcusRomerThe Creative Process 1. This is awesome 2. This is tricky 3. This is shit 4. I am shit 5. This might be ok 6. This is awesome