Cross Browser Testing is a testing approach that essentially helps us to assure compatibility of our application across all the Browsers that are used by the End User of the Application. Many a time, the testers don’t give much importance to cross browser compatibility checks. And postpone it to the end of the cycle just to miss it due to strict timelines.
When an end user faces the issue, the first thought that comes to their mind would be to try out a competitor’s app rather than trying a different Browser that they are not used to. That is loss of your valuable revenue. Moreover, some of the critical yet unrevealed bugs might be uncovered by a simple cross browser compatibility check.
These are strong pointers to the fact that Cross Browser Testing is imperative in a Product’s Quality Check.
We will reassert the same by looking into the disadvantages of local Cross Browser Testing and how Cloud based Cross Browser Testing tools provide a solution for those concerns.
Disadvantages of local Test Environments/ Test Lab
If you have multiple projects to handle, the Scope(expected User Base) of all your projects might be quite disparate. And so is the intended User environment and devices.
Even for a single Project, the end user devices come in a permutational combination across a number of different Browsers, Browser versions, Operating Systems and Screen Resolutions. And the result set of these combinations span over hundreds of devices and it is not feasible to test in all of these devices manually.
In both the above cases, given the huge scale of test environments required to perform the tests, it adds lots of costs, resources, and continuous maintenance efforts to manage a test lab internally.
Due to the dynamic Testing requirements, where you need to scale up and down, the cloud-based tools will give you maximum flexibility.
Also,the time and resources required to manage and maintain these Test Environments alone would form a considerable overhead.
To summarise, the disadvantages of Local Test Environments would be:
- Huge Initial Investment and setup time
- Limited access to the environments
- Environment instability due to improper setup
- Infrastructure Management and Maintenance Costs
- Difficult to scale up or down – low flexibility
- Access issues for Geographically distributed Team
Advantages of Cloud-Based Cross-Browser Testing tools
Cloud based Cross Browser Testing offers a lot of advantages over your local Test Environments as described below:
No Initial Time and Cost – All the required Test Environments are preconfigured for you in the Cloud. There’s no need of additional setup or extra infrastructure costs. You can easily create the Tests in Simple English and then select the Cloud Test Environment where you need to run the Tests and start executing tests right away.
Other advantages include:
- 24/7 access to Cloud Resources/b><
- Stable Cloud Testing Environments
- No need of Infrastructure maintenance
- Scaling up or down in few clicks
- Highly Accessible to Remote Team
And much more…
Testsigma’s Cloud Based Cross Browser Testing Offering
Testsigma, is a comprehensive, effortless and automated cross browser testing tool. You can instantly build and run tests for your website and web applications across 1000+ desktop browsers, real iOS and Android device browsers available in the cloud.
You can ensure that your web applications work flawlessly on every browser, operating system, and device by performing Cross Browser Testing on our massive number of desktop browsers and real mobile devices available in the cloud.
Check out what benefits Testsigma offers as a cloud based automation testing tool.
- Write Automated Tests Quickly Using Simple English – Lets everyone write automated tests at least 5X faster using simple English. No coding skills required.
- Run Tests on 1000+ Real Desktop Mobile Browsers – Test your web applications over 1000 operating system and browser combinations instantly available in the Cloud.
- Speed up Test Runs with Parallel Test Executions – Run tests in parallel across many different test environments to cut down your build times.
- Continuous Integration for Agile and DevOps Teams – Shift-left approach and seamless integrations with CI/CD tools to ensure the quality of your applications in continuous delivery practices.
- Comprehensive Reports and Debugging Tools – Dynamic and customizable reports with text logs, screenshots, video recordings and many more to help you analyze results faster.