AppImages are the most easiest to run compared. All you need to do is follow the steps mentioned below.
Step to use AppImage
- Download the AppImage
- Make the AppImage executable. (sudo chmod +x *.AppImage)
- Run the file (./*.AppImage)
The challenging task is to make the AppImage accessible globally through he system like an installed application (in the menu)
you can achieve this by the going through the following steps.
Steps to add AppImage to Menu
- Move he AppImage to an accessible directory (I personally use .appImage in my home directory but you are free to be creative)
- Create a appName.desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications
- Add the following content to the .desktop file you create
[Desktop Entry] Version=0.13.23 Type=Application Name=appName Comment=Application Description TryExec=Path/to/AppImage Exec=Path/to/AppImage Icon=Path/to/AppImage.icon Actions=Editor
and we are done.
Now you AppImage is available for you user in menu.
If you want this AppImage to be accessible to to all the user of the system, place the .desktop file in
Feel free to comment any suggestion in comments section.
Top comments (3)
Easier option for beginners: Use Appimage launcher
Very much easy indeed.
Thanks for the update mate, for sure this is an alternative but it ain't for beginners.
Anyhow thanks for the introduction.