One of the many encouraging things I've seen amidst this global COVID-19 pandemic is the amount of innovation going on all over the world to combat it. For example, engineers, designers, and tech founders in various parts of the world were fleshing out their designs to create open-source ventilators as a backup in case their respective countries ran into shortages. Each team used different hardware devices and programmatic languages to seek to achieve the same goal of coming up with a device that could potentially save lives. Many even made prototypes, and some of these prototypes were tested on artificial lungs.
They were all great projects, but I have to say my personal favorite was the one worked on in Colombia. I'll let you dig and find your favorite :-).
To get you started, below is just a small sample of source code repositories of open-source ventilators worked on:
- OpenLung Emergency Medical Ventilator. https://gitlab.com/open-source-ventilator/ventilator/OpenLung. Last accessed: 7/6/2020.
- Open_Source_Ventilator. https://github.com/CSSALTlab/Open_Source_Ventilator. Last accessed: 7/6/2020.
- pandemic-ventilator-2.0. https://github.com/Mascobot/pandemic-ventilator-2.0. Last accessed: 7/6/2020.
- Low-Cost Open-Source Ventilator-ish Device or PAPR. https://github.com/jcl5m1/ventilator. Last accessed: 7/6/2020.
- There’s A Shortage Of Ventilators For Coronavirus Patients, So This International Group Invented An Open Source Alternative That’s Being Tested Next Week. https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexandrasternlicht/2020/03/18/theres-a-shortage-of-ventilators-for-coronavirus-patients-so-this-international-group-invented-an-open-source-alternative-thats-being-tested-next-week/#4efca37c3ba0. Last accessed: 7/6/2020.
- Open-Source Ventilator Project. https://simulation.health.ufl.edu/technology-development/open-source-ventilator-project/. Last accessed: 7/6/2020.
- Designing a low-cost, open source ventilator with Arduino. https://blog.arduino.cc/2020/03/17/designing-a-low-cost-open-source-ventilator-with-arduino/. Last accessed: 7/6/2020.
- An Open Source Ventilator Powered by Raspberry Pi and Arduino Goes Into Testing in Colombia. https://www.hackster.io/news/an-open-source-ventilator-powered-by-raspberry-pi-and-arduino-goes-into-testing-in-colombia-6c3f04b1ca94. Last accessed: 7/6/2020.