Recently I've taken on the project of helping organize my team's design review process. Part of what we want to do is have "design reviews" for our existing features, the outcome of which would be a desgin review meeting about that feature as well as new documentation about that feature.
Currently we're asking folks writing design reviews for exisiting features to answer the following questions:
What is this feature?
- What was it initially designed to do?
- What do customers expect it to do?
How does it work?
- What are the components of this feature?
- What technologies do they use?
- How do they work together to create the feature?
How does your team maintain knowledge about your existing features? How do you go about figuring them out in the absence of updated (or any) documentation? Are there any other questions you would ask in a design review for an existing features?