As we all prep for #HackerSummerCamp in Vegas next week [aka BlackHat / Defcon / B-Sides / QueerCon / Diana Initiative / etc.], spend some time reviewing this invaluable resource from the Electronic Frontier Foundation (eff.org) on protecting your personal digital security and privacy.
Here are some key takeaways:
- Use encrypted messaging
- Don't bring your RFID badges unless you absolutely need them. They can be read and copied from significant distances away
- Disable Bluetooth and automatic connection to WiFi in public places
- ENABLE MULTI-FACTOR AUTHENTICATION! Seriously, do it for every account you care about
- Examine ATMs and credit card machines for skimmers
- TRUST BUT VERIFY - be aware of social engineering in all your interactions
- figure out a way to corroborate things people tell you or you read online
- confirm someone is who they say they are, esp hotel security
- never give out your password, pin, etc.
- be careful about divulging personal facts that could be used in knowledge-based authentication
Be smart and look out for each other!