I was looking into ethical hacking as I was interested in CyberSec and was looking for a practical way to get in.
After some reading and playing around, I see its potential.
It’s a great field to apply concepts from various domains of software development.
Here is what I had to use in only 2 days of doing ethical hacking on HackThisSite.
- HTTP (Protocol Knowledge)
- Common Software Development Patterns
- Web servers (Apache, Nginx)
- Thinking like a Notorious Hacker
- Street Smarts
As you can see, ethical hacking requires using knowledge from various spectrum of software development to get work done.
In other words, it’s extremely practical.
I would recommend everyone to try it.
- Google “OWASP Top 10” and learn the concepts mentioned there.
- Then, create an account on HackThisSite(dot)org and try solving the challenges.