This week on Search Candy we are testing a text/font based logo, not using an image.
On hover the logo is given a CSS colour gradient.
There are a few pros of a text/font based logo as opposed to using an image:
- Faster load time / less resources on the page #webperf
- Can change the logo, apply CSS and effects on the fly #style
- Crystal clear rendering of the font at sizes from small to large #style
- Reliant on the font being installed or downloaded #webperf
- Could potentially lead to multiple words being split across lines #style
We made use of the Roboto font - which is already cached on pretty much every computer in the world due to being used extensively by Google.
We also added a non-breaking space (nbsp) HTML character entity instead of generic space - which prevents the two words in our logo from being split.