This is a good article. I have never contributed to StackOverflow because I feel like just about every question has been asked, and any question I could answer has been answered. I personally like don't want to reinvent the wheel and if I can gain insight on how to tackle a common problem with easy then I'm all for it. Sometimes the solutions are things I would've never come up with by myself or any sort of documentation reading or tutorials would have got me to. I personally like that duplicates are marked and just have links to another discussion because there's a defacto discussion for a problem instead of me trying to find out if all the 10 discussions on the topic say the same thing. To me a downvote signals it's not a quality answer and I feel like to me it isn't abused. Ever answer I've seen severely downvoted is because the person answering didn't read the question or isn't providing any value. I do feel that I've seen some of the accepted answers that aren't the best answer. However, your article sheds a whole new light for me on the politics of the community. Nice read!
if you never contributed to stackoverflow because you think everything has been already answered, then you probably tried nothing really new or more complicated, how then you think others still get questions and answers, wouldn't they get duplicated questions? You cannot force it think out of your head, you need to come into a requirement that you have to solve and you found a solution by trial and error yourself, and I tell you a secret, stackoverflow in my opinion contains about 10-20% of programming knowledge the remaining 80% is on github or elsewhere or not replied, so sometimes you just have to only copy and paste from github forums, and I either post a question and a reply where I can't google it, or I copy it from Github.
Definitely in the nothing new category. When you work with something established like the Spring framework there are plenty of complicated tasks that someone else has done that's present on StackOverflow.
Trust me, that's a good thing. I'm working on the current asp.net core and pretty much every complex question I could want to know the answer to ... is now obsolete. That makes it difficult to find an answer, as you ask and get results for version 2 when its all about version 3 now and the interfaces changed drastically. Ho hum, I guess it keeps someone at Microsoft constantly paid.
We're a place where coders share, stay up-to-date and grow their careers.
We strive for transparency and don't collect excess data.