We have all heard of how critical cyberattacks can be. Recent victims of cyberattacks were business giants like Accenture, Pizza Hut, Olympus. In this article, we will talk about what cyberattacks are, how to prevent them, and what are some careers in cybersecurity.
Cyber security is the process of protecting systems, networks, programs from digital attacks. Hackers usually do this kind of cyberattack to access sensitive information to change, destroy and sometimes sell the information on Dark Web.
According to IBM, the average cost of a data breach in 2020 was USD 3.86 million globally while the costs in the US were USD 8.64 million. These costs included the expenses of finding and eliminating the breach, costs of downtown and lost revenue, and long-term damage to brand names and their reputation.
The majority of the cyberattacks were done to get access to confidential customer data like names, mobile numbers, addresses and were sold in underground digital marketplaces.
Types of Cybersecurity threats-
We already discussed what cybersecurity is how it is impacting everything around the globe, moving further let's start with its types.
- Malware- Malware is the malicious software in which any file or program is used to target user systems. This includes Viruses, Trojans, worms.
- Ransomware- Ransomware is another type of malware in which a hacker locks the files on the user's system and asks for payments to unlock the files.
- Social Engineering- Social Engineering uses human interaction to make users break the security procedures to gain access to sensitive information.
- Phishing- Phishing is a form of social engineering in which attackers send fraud emails and SMSs that resemble reputable or known sources.
- Spear Phishing- Spear Phishing is a type of phishing in which a specific user base is targeted.
How to protect yourself against cybercrimes?
1) Train your staff.
2) Keep your softwares up to date.
3) Install firewalls and antiviruses.
4) Don't download from or surf untrusted websites.
5) Back up your data.
6) Never share your passwords.
Careers in Cybersecurity
Chief Information Security Officer(CISO)- CISO is the individual who implements the security program across the organization and oversees the IT security department’s operations.
Chief Security Officer(CSO)- CSO is the executive responsible for the physical and/or cyber security of a company.
Security engineers- They protect company assets from threats with a focus on quality control within the IT infrastructure.
Security architects- They are responsible for planning, analyzing, designing, testing, maintaining, and supporting an enterprise’s critical infrastructure.
Security analysts- They have several responsibilities that include planning security measures and controls, protecting digital files, and conducting both internal and external security audits.
Penetration testers- They are ethical hackers who test the security of systems, networks, and applications, seeking vulnerabilities that could be exploited by malicious actors.
Threat hunters- They are threat analysts who aim to uncover vulnerabilities and attacks and mitigate them before they compromise a business.
In this era of digitalization, cyberattacks are a concern, and learning Cybersecurity is a must.
Also check out Cybersecurity Degree
Feel like something is missing out? Tell me in the comments.