The post SharePoint Server gets modern: SharePoint 2019 is here! appeared first on Blog IT.
SharePoint 2019 is finally here!
It is still not the RTM version, but we can already get a sneak peek of what the new version will bring since SharePoint 2019 Preview was recently announced by Microsoft after the Microsoft Inspire event that took place at Las Vegas from July 15th to July 19th.
SharePoint has come a long way and it is nothing but amazing to see the constant innovation that Microsoft has been introducing to the platform over the years!
With this release, SharePoint Server finally gets modern and includes a major set of the features that are already available in SharePoint Online. After the release of SharePoint Online back in 2013 and with the release of SharePoint 2016, Microsoft has adopted the “Cloud-first, mobile first” vision where all new features are first released to SharePoint Online and then gradually released to SharePoint On-Premises through new major versions that occur approximately every 3 years and through Feature Packs that were introduced in SharePoint 2016 and allow the latest Cloud innovations to be brought to the On-Premises world. SharePoint 2016 was the first major SharePoint On-Premises release that took advantage of the extensive Microsoft experience managing SharePoint Online and the second major version was just recently announced: SharePoint 2019.
SharePoint 2016 has brought us several major improvements over its predecessor. Here are some of its main features:
- New Hybrid Experiences like Cloud Hybrid Search, Hybrid Team Sites and the ability to use Delve as the User Profile Experience
- Major limit increases (ex: Search Index Size, Number of Site Collections, List View Threshold Increase with Automatic Index Column Creation)
- Feature Packs
- Durable Links
- Zero Downtime Patching
- Integration of the new SharePoint Framework development model (available with SharePoint 2016 Feature Pack 2)
Three years have passed with lots of new features released to SharePoint Online and it is time to take a look at what Microsoft is bringing us with the new SharePoint 2019 Preview release.
Lets’ take a look at the major features that the new version will bring!
The main focus of the new release is no doubt the inclusion of major parts of the Modern Experiences already available in SharePoint Online, bringing a responsive user experience and allowing access to SharePoint 2019 from any device (PC and mobile devices). Here are the major new features that were announced and that will be included in SharePoint 2019:
- Modern Team Sites
- Modern Communication Sites
- Modern Lists
- Modern Libraries
- Modern Pages
- Modern SharePoint Development Platform
- Support to the latest One Drive Sync Client
- Improved Hybrid Support
- Improved support for PowerApps and Flow
- Improvements on Large File Support, Character Restrictions and File/Folder Names
The following features are not going to be available, possibly in future Feature Packs:
- Hub Sites
- Site Designs and Site Scripts
- Site collection app catalog
- Power BI web part
- Most of the modern web parts available in SharePoint Online
As expected, some of major features in Office 365 will not be available and will remain as cloud only offerings:
- Office 365 Groups
- Microsoft Teams
- Microsoft Forms
- Delve (possible to integrate with SharePoint 2019 in a hybrid scenario)
- PowerBI (possible to integrate with SharePoint 2019 in a hybrid scenario)
To read all about the new features included in SharePoint 2019 in a greater detail, click here.