- Anatoliy's Project on GitHub: https://github.com/aserputov/qck-ssg-final
- My Project on GitHub: https://github.com/MizuhoOkimoto/pajama-ssg
There are 2 required features.
- Modify the file handling so that it supports both .txt files as well as .md, and parse one aspect of Markdown into HTML.
- Implement one of the Markdown syntax features for Italics, Bold, Heading1.
First of all, I used Fork on his GitHub repository, and cloned to my GitHub repository. Then, I cloned it to my local computer, and created a new branch for my work with this command
git checkout -b issue-5.
Last week, when I tested and reviewed his project, I thought I understood his way and the code structure. However, when I started trying to implement the new features, I hit a wall. I had to ask him to explain his way and he sent me some videos to explain!(It was at 2am! Thank you, my sweet friend😭)
I communicated with him and I finally implemented the new features by adding some functions for reading .md file, and used replace methods to replace to markdown. Unfortunately, I had another problem. I installed Prettier on my local machine globally, so when I type
** to make the line bold, it became
\*, so I couldn't test the implementations.
After I finished the implementations, I made a pull request on my fork repository.
I posted a comment what I implemented with a sample on GitHub, and asked him to review and merge it.
I received a pull request from Anatoliy, and I found a problem. After he Fork my repository, I updated my project, so there were some conflicts. I was afraid I would lose my updates when I merged his code, so I asked my professor and he worked me through how to merge.
First, I cloned my project's repository on my local computer, and checked with
git status. It showed
Your branch is up to date with 'origin/main'. Then, viewing git remote configurations(
$git remote), and added Anatoliy's repository and named it
$git remote add anatoliy https://github.com/aserputov/pajama-ssg.git). After I added his repository, I checked remote configuration again, it showed
origin. So I downloaded the commits, files, and refs from a remote repository into my local repo(
$git fetch anatoliy), and checked the past commits.
Then, I went back to my main branch(
$git checkout main), and merged issue-5(
$git merge issue-5).
I had some unmerged files, so I opened a pull request and filed changes on GitHub, so I could check what I should or shouldn't merge. For Example:
$ git rm .\.DS_Storeand
$git add README.md
After I committed it (
$git commit without message), I checked with
$git log, and I could see that I finally merged everything.
My professor taught me how to send a request change based on the pull request. First, inside the pull request page, I clicked the "View changes" button, checked the changes, then made a Review changes and submitted.
I didn't like Git before, because it's complicated and I always get a bunch of error messages. However, after I watched my professor's lectures and through this assignment, I'm getting to like it. I feel like Git is magic💥 It was great to collaborate with my partner and get support from my professor.
I still have some issues to improve my project, so I will update it soon 👍