Since last time, we did a bunch more documentation updates, plus worked on a number of bug fixes and instrumentation updates to flow processing and Nephron, Docker Container Trust, thresholding, metadata, the time-series API, and Minion health checks.
- Mark worked on a few documentation fixes.
- Dustin made the flow sampling interval configurable for flows missing it in their export.
- Bonnie updated the reference docs with a number of cleanups and also added a section on the Prometheus JMX exporter.
- Stefan continued to work on implementing Docker Container Trust for our minion images.
- Marcel did more updates to detector documentation.
- Chandra added some basic validation of threshold value in the thresholding XSD. It should match either a floating-point value, or a metadata text replacement.
- Bonnie did a bunch more documentation updates including BSM, Minion Docker, confd, and more.
- Patrick did some more work on storing string values in the time-series API.
- Jane worked on categorizing health checks so that a subset(s) can be queried.
- Stefan did some more work on instrumenting Nephron for performance tuning.
- Dustin updated the availability ReST service to supply up/down status.
- Dustin updated the metadata ReST interface read-only, since metadata is intended to only be modified through requisitions.
- Jane added OpenAPI docs to the health-check ReST service.
Thanks to the following contributors for committing changes since last OOH:
- Benjamin Reed
- Bonnie Robinson
- Chandra Gorantla
- Christian Pape
- Dustin Frisch
- Jane Hou
- Marcel Fuhrmann
- Mark Mahacek
- Patrick Schweizer
- Stefan Wachter
In June, we released updates to all OpenNMS Meridian versions under active support, and released the first iteration of OpenNMS Horizon 28.
Release 28.0.0 is the first in the Horizon 28 series, introducing a requirement of Java 11, enhancements to flow aggregation to support DSCP ToS/QoS, and more.
The codename for Horizon 28.0.0 is Jazz.
For an overview of changes in OpenNMS Horizon 28, see What's New in OpenNMS Horizon 28
All Meridian releases this month contained just a few small bug fixes and enhancements. As always, it is strongly recommended that you update to the latest release.
For a list of changes, see the release notes:
OpenNMS is on a monthly release schedule, with releases happening on the first Tuesday of the month.
The next OpenNMS release day is July 6th, 2021.
We currently expect at least a Horizon 28.0.1 release.
The next major Horizon release will be Horizon 29.
The current roadmap for Horizon 29 includes the following goals:
- running as non-root by default
- refactor the Minion's communication to get rid of out-of-band ReST calls to the OpenNMS core
- add support for persistence of flows to Cortex
With Meridian 2021 recently out, we do not yet have a specific timeline for Meridian 2022.
Expect it to include -- at the very least -- the JDK11 requirement and flow aggregation improvements from Horizon 28.
Ideally it will contain work going into Horizons 29 (and probably 30) if our timeline holds.
Note that this is just based on current plans; dates, features, and releases can change or slip depending on how development goes.
The statements contained herein may contain certain forward-looking statements relating to The OpenNMS Group that are based on the beliefs of the Group’s management as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to the Group’s management. These forward-looking statements are, by their nature, subject to significant risks and uncertainties.
...We apologize for the excessive disclaimers. Those responsible have been sacked.
Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti...
We apologise again for the fault in the disclaimers. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.
If there’s anything you’d like me to talk about in a future OOH, or you just have a comment or criticism you’d like to share, don’t hesitate to say hi.
- NMS-12876: Typo in Graphs: "File Descritors"
- NMS-13238: Enhance Availability (RTC) data via REST with current service status
- NMS-13260: Expand PageSequenceMonitor Documentation
- NMS-13319: Provide OpenAPI doc to health-check REST API
- NMS-13322: Backport 'NMS-13215: Fallback config for flow timeouts' to release-27.x
- NMS-13344: Documentation Typos
- NMS-13351: Release notes display issues