This applies to BIOS update on MCP61SM-AM motherboard with bootblock protection enabled in BIOS (in my case Acer Aspire T180). The one and only official update available on Acer website is R01-C0 from 2008/12/09.
- You have bootblock protection enabled in BIOS settings
WinFlash shows that bootblock is
hardware protectedand BIOS update fails
- If you reboot (DO NOT DO THIS!) your motherboard will be bricked and your only hope would be BIOS chip replacement
- WinFlash won't check if BIOS bootblock is protected before starting update procedure
- Bootblock is being updated after all other blocks so you end up with error and unusable mixed-up BIOS
- Why anyone would make a BIOS flash utility to work in such a stupid way?
- If you hopefully haven't rebooted your PC yet, open a backup of your old BIOS version in WinFlash
- Check everything to update except a bootblock
rebootafter update is done
- Enter BIOS and disable bootblock protection
- Update BIOS in WinFlash