Artificial intelligence (AI) is wide-ranging branch of computer science concerned with building smart machines capable of performing tasks that typically require human intelligence. AI is an interdisciplinary science with multiple approaches, but advancements in machine learning and deep learning are creating a paradigm shift in virtually every sector of the tech industry.
Artificial intelligence generally falls under two broad categories:
Narrow AI: Sometimes referred to as "Weak AI," this kind of artificial intelligence operates within a limited context and is a simulation of human intelligence. Narrow AI is often focused on performing a single task extremely well and while these machines may seem intelligent, they are operating under far more constraints and limitations than even the most basic human intelligence.
HOW IS AI USED ?
Artificial General Intelligence (AGI): AGI, sometimes referred to as "Strong AI," is the kind of artificial intelligence we see in the movies, like the robots from Westworld or Data from Star Trek: The Next Generation. AGI is a machine with general intelligence and, much like a human being, it can apply that intelligence to solve any problem.
Examples of AI
1) Smart assistants (like Siri and Alexa)
2) Disease mapping and prediction tools
3) Manufacturing and drone robots
Optimized, personalized healthcare treatment recommendations
4) Conversational bots for marketing and customer service
5) Robo-advisors for stock trading
Spam filters on email
6) Social media monitoring tools for dangerous content or false news
7) Song or TV show recommendations from Spotify and Netflix