Back in 2016, I was doing a bit of Embedded C and PHP, when internet’s high decibel machine learning rush hit me. Realizing the limits of my skills, I pivoted to Python. One thing led to another and I decided to follow Lean Development Methodology to quickly launch a website and then improve it gradually. Flask was selected and I started with Flask Mega Tutorial.
Next came the search for Python web hosting service. After a few days of researched, I couldn’t really made up my mind. But since I really wanted to get started, I chose and signed up for PythonAnywhere.
Even after significant research on Python website hosting service, I could not understand various moving parts clearly. I selected Pythonanywhere based on a hunch.
PythonAnywhere is a web hosting company which offers hosting solution for Python web applications. One can use it to host Python wen apps and scripts. It’s a 7 years old company based in London.
I’m reviewing PythonAnywhere for following reasons:
- I’ve been its user for three years.
- When I started with Python-Flask web apps, I had to spend many days searching “Hosting services for Python website”. When a service is finally decided, I went in with a leap-of-faith, in-spite of all the research.
- There are many people who keep asking in forums “where should I host my Python website and Python applications”.
- A wrong decision in hosting a Python app, costs dearly, in time, performance, project growth and energy.
- Internet’s signal/noise ratio is going down everyday. If I can help put even one thing in perspective, it will be a success.
The goal here is to simplify and present enough information so that you can take a well-informed decision, instead of relying on hunch or PR articles.
So if you are wondering “is PythonAnywhere good?” or “should I use PythonAnywhere for web hosting?”, sit tight, we are about to discover the truth.
What you can do on PythonAnywhere?
- Code, run and host python app and scripts
- Build & host Django web applications
- Build & host Flask web applications
- Build & host web2py web applications
- Build & host Bottle web applications
These are the core offerings of PythonAnywhere. “Code, Run and Host” are the words they focus on.
This word-set means that you can open PythonAnywhere.com on any web browser to:
- Write code for Python Applications in a web-based editor there [or in a console],
- Save and run the code, validate its output,
- Host the code on PythonAnywhere for ever.
What are PythonAnywhere’s big promises?
- Start hosting quickly
- Develop anywhere
- Amazing support
In this review, we will see how PythonAnywhere fares on these promises among many other things.
Here is the link to complete in-depth review: In-Depth Review: Should you host Python website on PythonAnywhere?
Let me know if you find it helpful. If you find it helpful, clap and share!