Today i encountered a somewhat unusual scenario, a client was failing to access their loyalty program, the query kept timing out.
I noticed the contributor to this, the application(POS) on Client computer was connecting using the IP Address instead of the Server Name.
When pinging the server, it was giving the "Destination host unreachable" error, however when i ping using the IP Address this gave success replies.
I tried flashing the DNS cache, ARP cache, all did not resolve the issue. I looked back at my pings results, noticed that the IP Address that it was assuming the server to be was not the one that is currently on the server. This is when i had to look at the DNS management template, i used the below route to fix the issue.
- Press the Windows key.
- Type Notepad in the search field.
- In the search results, right-click Notepad and select Run as administrator.
- From Notepad, open the following file:
- Locate the host name that was causing the issue.
- Change it to the current name and ip address.
- Select File > Save to save your changes.
After this my pings using the host name were successful and re ran the setup using the host name, all worked well.