“It’s not enough to have social impact with your technology — you also have this huge responsibility to maintain your technology for the long-term.”
More on that in this week of the DevNews pod
S7:E7 - Lack Foresight Leads to a Loss of Sight, Tech Recruitment Challenges, Which Vendors Are Fastest at Fixing Bugs, and More
As a refresher, DevNews is the news show for developers by developers. Each season, our hosts cover the latest in the world of tech, and speak with diverse guests from a variety of backgrounds to dig deep into meaty topics such as security, the pros and cons of outsourcing your authentication, and the latest bugs and hacks.
- @saronyitbarek is the founder of Disco, founder of CodeNewbie host of the CodeNewbie Podcast, and co-host of the base.cs podcast.
- @joshpuetz is the Principal Software Engineer at Forem — the open source community software that powers DEV, CodeNewbie and a growing number of other online communities.
- Pariss 'Athena' Chandler is the Founder & CEO of Black Tech Pipeline, and creator of the hashtag, movement, and community #BlackTechTwitter.
- Dr. Calvin Roberts is President and Chief Executive Officer of Lighthouse Guild, the leading organization dedicated to providing exceptional services that inspire people who are visually impaired to attain their goals. He was formerly Senior VP and Chief Medical Officer of Eye Care at Bausch Health Companies.
In this episode, we talk about another major hack on Ukraine, a report from Google’s Project Zero about which tech vendors are the fastest at fixing security bugs, and we also chat about injecting old computers with Chrome OS Flex. Then we speak with Pariss Athena, founder and CEO of Black Tech Pipeline about the challenges that tech recruiters are having in the current job landscape. And finally, we speak with Dr. Calvin Roberts, president and CEO of Lighthouse Guild International and clinical professor of ophthalmology at Weill (While) Cornell Medical College, a charitable organization devoted to the visually impaired, about the issue of certain bionic eye technologies becoming obsolete and unsupported.
You can follow DevNews to get episode notifications and listen right in your feed — or subscribe on your platform of choice! Plus, if you leave us a review, we'll send you a free pack of thank-you stickers. Details here.
Quick Listening Links
- @levisharpe for producing & mixing the show
- Our Season 7 Sponsors: Scout APM & The Stack Overflow Podcast.
We hope you enjoy our show this week! 📰
Top comments (1)
We had a good chat about the bionic eye issue on our podcast Games at Work dot Biz this week, as well. Interesting thoughts - should it all be Open Source, should the code be in escrow, etc.