In order to be clear on what “success” for a project would look like, it is always good to define goals.
Just like riding a bike, it is always good to look where you want to head, and this is the equivalent of setting goals for a project that you’re working on.
I’ve been thinking about concrete goals that I want to reach for Shipharder.com recently. It proved hard to just set some goals without thinking about what you’re trying to build first.
I gave it all some serious thinking and found that only after defining what Shipharder.com is and thinking of which direction it is going I could come to concrete targets.
This is why my approach for setting goals were divided into the following concrete steps:
- write down a definition for your product or project
- make clear what the mission is
- based on the previous points, decide on the targets that need to be met this year
In the case of Shipharder.com, this all resulted into the following:
The definition: Shipharder.com features mindshaping content on how to build viable products and documents a developer’s efforts on doing so
The mission: Shipharder.com provides interesting and inspirational content that will guide (digital) product makers to get a mindset to create viable products
After I got this clear, i defined my goals as:
- 📩 reach 1000 subscribers for the Shipharder.com mailing list
- 📈 5k monthly visitors that read the Shipharder.com cornerstone blog posts & watch the vlogs
- 💵 ads income generated by the website: aiming for revenue (any!) and a payout in 2019
- 📦 at least one side project of mine becoming viable and getting me additional income
These aren’t shocking goals. And I know that shooting for the stars will help you to get bigger than expected goals.
Read more on my goals in this post: https://www.shipharder.com/goals-shipharder-2019/
I'm really curious about your feedback on these. Are they too weak, too soft or too specific?
How did you set your goals for your product(s) for the last/this year?
Thanks for reading 🙌🏻 looking forward to any light you can shed on the matter.
This website, DEV, is a social media platform designed specifically for developers.