Ugh. Been having crazy trouble with getting started with Python for windows, all the way through getting xml2rfc installed. Background is I'm trying to regenerate some RFC documents based on JSON edits in the appropriate XML files for a project.
SO, here's the steps I (think) were taken in the end to get it working - in case I ever need to do it again.
Install Python 3.5
(Fails) pip install xml2rfc
- Error related to lxml, for some reason exception being thrown from a VS14 directory?
(Fails) pip install lxml
- Ok... so here's what not to do I guess
pip install wheel
- After trolling through threads, found that "wheel" can be used to install lxml
python -m pip install lxml-3.6.4-cp35-cp35m-win_amd64.whl
- From http://stackoverflow.com/a/30494745/2312877
- Grab .whl for lxml (not sure why pip install lxml does not work)
- Put in a directory
- run command from base
pip install xml2rfc
Hooray! That took forever... apparently stuff just needs to be done in a weird order, and not one that (at least I would) expect. Oh how I miss npm compared to this package manager...