Originally published at AhmadAwais.com: Windows Terminal
"Developers, developers, developers" is all that Microsoft cares about in 2019. Which is a welcomed change — Microsoft has unveiled Windows Terminal, a new command line app for Windows.
You heard that right. It's like Windows forgot to update the terminal app for about two decades and only now realized that the old grandpa terminal gotta go. Microsoft is launching a new command line app for Windows, called the new Windows Terminal.
- ✅ Cross Env: The new Windows Terminal is designed to be an access point for all sorts of different command-line environments since it works with Cmd, PowerShell, and the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL).
- 📑 Multi-tab Support: Yes, multi-tabs is now a reality which is a welcomed feature in any terminal app. Gotta have that.
- 📟 GPU accelerated DirectWrite/DirectX-based text rendering including CJK ideograms, powerline symbols, icons, programming ligatures, etc. Boy this is awesome.
- 👌 Emoji Support: Woohoo! Super happy about this.
- 🎨 Themes & Customizations: The video showcased clearly represents the fact that this new Windows Terminal will be themeable as well as customizable — both fundamentally important features for developers. I look forward to creating a 🦄 Shades of Purple theme for this one.
Microsoft is constantly improving its products for developers. This new windows terminal is supposed to be released in mid-June. A bit late to the party there, folks — but we're all happy for you.