Hay guys! Nirupamvas here and today I am gonna teach you about how you can dual boot your system with Linux mint and Windows.
So lets get started!!
For this you gonna required atleast mininum 4GB of pendrive either 2.0 or 3.1 . If you don't have any of these take a memory card(SD card) and card reader that will be fine too. A proper internet connection for downloading and that's it we are good to go.
- 2GB RAM
- Dual Core Processor
- 20GB free disk space
- Bootable Media (USB or DVD)
1) Go to the official website of Linux Mint for downloading Link.
Mate : Linux Mint is also involved in the development of MATE,
a classic desktop environment which is the continuation of
GNOME 2, Linux Mint’s default desktop between 2006 and 2011.
Although it misses a few features and its development is slower
than Cinnamon’s, MATE runs faster, uses less resources and is
more stable than Cinnamon
2) Download the ISO based on your preference I prefer Cinnamon.
3) Now you need to download an application that creates bootable USB drives. I will be downloading rufus in my case you can use what ever your comfortable with. Next install rufus.
4) Now plug your pendrive now open rufus then on the device section you will be able to see your pendrive name
5) Then in boot section select the ISO file from you download space. Next click on start your good to go. It will be taking you around 10-15 minutes.
6) Next click on finish and then reboot your system if your doing it for the first time then follow this instructions
Now go to BIOS ,In order to access BIOS on a Windows PC, you must press your BIOS key set by your manufacturer which could be F10, F2, F12, F1, or DEL.
- Then make sure that your safe boot is turned off and press ESC and then click YES and then your BIOS will restar.Now your are good to go.
9)Click on start Linux mint
10)Now you can see that the Linux Mint 20 installer starting with a Live session. You don’t need to login into the system as the Live session create s new user by itself called “mint” and let you into the Live Session. Remember this is only a temporary session that is being created from the USB disk. To install a version permanently in your system, double click on “Install Linux Mint“.
15)For the installation of I have around 40 GB hard disk space and will create following partitions on it.
- /boot – 1 GB (ext4 file system)
- / – 10 GB (ext4 file system)
- /home – 27 GB (ext4 file system)
- Swap – 2 GB
Make sure that for /root you select atleast 10GB, and for /home make as possible as you can so that when ever you download something they will be storing there, and Swap space in Linux is used when the amount of physical memory (RAM) is full. So make sure you use this advantage and select atleast 2GB
16)In the next screen, you will be asked to select your time zone. Choose yours and click “Continue” to proceed
17)Before the installation begins, you will be asked to provide your user credentials and hostname of your system. Please provide the required information as shown in the screen below and click “continue” to start the installation of Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon edition.
18)Finally, the installation begins, and it will take a couple of minutes to complete with the installation. But during the installation process, you can see details about all the new features added in the Ulyana edition of Linux Mint in the form of a slideshow.
20)And you can now boot into your Linux mint machine
21)If you want to go boot again into windows just reboot the system and click on windows and hit enter.
That's it for now guys! If you have any troubleshooting problems then leave a comment below.