At Returnly we help merchants turn product returns into new revenue streams. We are a Silicon Valley startup and we have recently opened an office in downtown Madrid (near Alonso Martinez subway station). We’re are a financial technology services company that builds award-winning products which make shoppers’ propensity to repurchase go through the roof. We’re backed by smart money VCs in Fintech and one of the most well-funded startups in the San Francisco Bay Area. Our mission is to de-risk online commerce and we’re building a team of amazingly talented people to build the next generation of retail fintech products.
We have 23 standard PTO (Paid Time Off) days, plus up to 2 days from the benefits (to be used on special dates).
We have an office, and we prefer seeing each other often, but we already had a healthy WFH culture before Covid19 came so when it happened, we just switched to every-day WFH. However, we would prefer if you live in or near Madrid so when we open the office again it won’t be a problem for you to enjoy it.
We have a very flexible approach to working hours. You can stop to go to the gym, get your little ones to or from school, meditate or do whatever you need or want. There is a need for a certain amount of overlap with Pacific Coast working hours needed for meetings and collaboration that does not fit into asynchronous communications, however we try to prioritise those, and your main collaborators are based on Spain.A lot of people at Returnly have families, we understand the sometimes unpredictable nature of life and we support every one taking care of their loved ones and themselves, and we trust everyone to take advantage of this flexibility in a responsible way.
We do performance and compensation reviews, and we will try to help you become your better self, be it via mentoring, training, feedback or the possibility to dab on fields where you are not yet an expert.
You will be provided with an apple laptop and whatever you need to do your job comfortably and productively. As we are now unable to enjoy our awesome offices, special provisions to help you set up at home will be addressed.
Additionally, Returnly offers some benefits to all Spain employees, like private medical insurance, extra vacation days, weekly team lunch, etc.
Employees can choose some extra benefits since day one and they will earn more every year they remain at Returnly, benefits include things like gym membership, phone/Internet, transport, meal….
• Build and enhance a highly configurable system that is used by thousands of companies and millions of shoppers
• Work with a highly collaborative team, where you will solve challenging problems
• Review each other’s code and pair-program to spread knowledge and produce higher-quality code
• Drive quality by writing unit, integration, and performance tests in a continuous delivery environment
• Make decisions based on data and be pragmatic
• Work closely with Product and Leadership
• Help define and prioritize features
• Produce documentation that helps the team understand complex parts of the system
• Go beyond engineering by working closely with our support representatives where we help triage and debug technical support requests
You will have Returnly’s stack and tools installed on your machine and a general understanding of how everything works together.
You will have read most of Returnly’s documentation that is relevant to you.
You will be able to assume your own tasks even if completing them requires asking questions or collaborating with peers.
You will have deployed some code to production.
You will be able to work mostly unsupervised, to ask relevant questions about new tasks before starting them so that your workload flows in a mostly predictable manner.
You will have extended or enhanced some of existing documentation with new or more detailed info.
You will have added some sizable features to Returnly’s web apps and will be the go-to person about their implementation, or feasibility of future developments.
You will have authored some new parts of the documentation.
We use Rails 5, RSpec, Sidekiq, Webpacker and React/Redux for the most interactive parts of the UI. These apps interact with both internal and external services to complete some of their tasks.
We do continuous integration, and we have personal QA environments that launch on demand for any branch in a production-like environment with most integrations available just as production.
We use a variation of Kanban with weekly check-ups to re-evaluate prioritisation and user stories grooming.
Every other week we check OKR alignment with the wider team and sometimes do small focused 3min demos to see what everyone is doing.
You will work with a product owner, webapps developers, services developers, and a QA engineer in a cross-functional autonomous team that we call a Pod.
You will also have the chance to refine best-practices and propose technical work, refactorings and reliability enhancements in periodical work sessions with your stack-peers from every Pod.
We have an incredible office at Calle Larra, Madrid, with shared kitchen, lunch space, bike parking, a sunny terrace, lockers, top notch video conference equipment, and surrounded by nice restaurants and numerous public transportation options. But alas, due to Covid19, we are now unable to use it safely so we are working from home for the time being. (We will review this later)
While we need someone with a deep knowledge on the main required skills for this position, we prefer people with a broad experience in neighbouring or related areas. Backend, testing, containers, graphic design, project management… The more you bring to the table the better.
We are a young company, where specialisation is still in process, and we believe that, the better you understand the people you are collaborating with, the easier it is going to be to have a smooth communication with them.
• 4+ years industry experience in Ruby/Rails
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills; attention to detail
• Knowledge of web service technologies and REST best-practices
• Understanding of scalability challenges and performance of server-side code
• Ability to design and develop horizontally-scalable, resilient and efficient systems
• Deep understanding and experience with relational databases and SQL
• Courage and discipline to dig-in and refactor other people’s code and explore new technology and solutions
• Proven track record of shipping software in a delivery-focused environment
• Desire to improve broken processes and make your own job easier over time
• Ability to think creatively and critically and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and often ambiguous work environment
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to communicate and influence effectively across various departments
• Written and spoken communication proficiency in English is needed to collaborate with a global team
• Data-driven mentality
• Deep understanding of distributed systems in a cloud environment, and event-driven architecture is a plus
• Understanding of and experience with NoSQL data stores is a plus
• B.S. degree equivalent (or higher) in Computer Science, Engineering or related field is a plus
• Prior history of driving impact in a high-growth eCommerce/technology startup is a plus
• Exposure to Amazon Web Services is a plus
• Meet & Greet
• Take-home exercise and/or Online test
• Technical Interview
• On-site interview (held via videocall due to Covid19)
Diversity: We are diverse, independent thinkers and still one team with one mission.
Openness and empathy: We learn and grow by listening to our customers and each other
Integrity: We always do what’s right for our customers, Returnly and ourselves - in that order.
Team: EQ is as important as IQ. We make time to help each other out.
Commitment: We are curious and fearless. We own risk, outcomes and everything in between.
We really love hearing from you, but before applying please check the following...
Read the values section above carefully and ask yourself if this is a good match for you personally. We want you to be an ambassador of these values!
Please feel free to leave questions in the comments section.