Open source software is software with source code that anyone can inspect, modify, and enhance.
"Source code" is the part of software that most computer users don't ever see; it's the code computer programmers can manipulate to change how a piece of software—a "program" or "application"—works. Programmers who have access to a computer program's source code can improve that program by adding features to it or fixing parts that don't always work correctly
Being able to make your first contribution might seem overwhelming but with these few steps am sure you'll properly get the hang of what exactly to do.
2.Make any changes in your forked repo
3.On this repo, click Pull Requests and raise a Pull Request selecting your fork on the right drop down
Questions can be asked by raising an Issue.
Using Git on your local machine. Do this to download the forked copy of this repo to your computer.
git clone https://github.com/yourGithubUsername/nameOfProject.git
- switch to the cloned folder. This can be done with Gitbash or the integrated terminal in the VSCode editor.
- Make a new branch. Your name would make a good branch because it's unique.
git checkout -b <name of new branch>
- Open the file that needs to be contributed to an example the README.md file
- Make the necessary changes needed to be made lets take an instance of adding your name to the README.md file and next to it add the link to your github username page.
For example, -
Full Name https://github.com/your-username
- Stage your changes
git add README.md
git add .
- Commit the changes.
git commit -m "Add <your-github-username>"
- Check the status of your repository.
- Pushing your repository to GitHub.
git push origin <name of your branch>
git branch -M main git push -u origin main
Navigate to your fork, on the top of the files section you'll notice a new section containing, a contribute button!
Click on the contribute button, it will open a drop down, click the pull request button on the drop down.
Note: A pull request allows your changes to be merged with the original project.
Wait for your changes to be merged.
Hurray! You successfully made a contribution! 🎉
And with surely these steps above and different alternatives, you can surely be able to make your first contribution. Happy Contributing indeed.
For more resources and information about contributing to open source using git and github, checkout this toturial Git and Github by Kunal Kushwaha