LocalStorage and SessionSorage are the features that support current browsers thanks to HTML 5 to save information on the client-side. We keep this information like the behaviour of a dictionary, that is, Key and Value. Everything saved turns out to be a string. Unlike cookies, this information is only persisted on the client-side and is never sent in each request made by our application.
- Data is shared between all tabs and windows from the same origin.
- The data will not expire. It will remain even after browser restart and survive OS reboot too.
- Limits the size of data you can store (~5MB across all major browsers).
//Set the value in a local storage object localStorage.setItem('name', myName); //Get the value from storage object localStorage.getItem('name'); //Delete the value from local storage object localStorage.removeItem(name);//Delete specifice obeject from local storege localStorage.clear();//Delete all from local storege
- The sessionStorage exists only within the current browser tab. Another tab with the same page will have different session storage.
- It is shared between iframes in the same tab (assuming they come from the same origin).
- The data survives page refresh, but not closing/opening the tab.
- Limits the size of data you can store (5MB to 10MB).
//Set the value in a session storage object sessionStorage.setItem('name', myName); //Get the value from storage object sessionStorage.getItem('name'); //Delete the value from session storage object sessionStorage.removeItem(name);//Delete specifice obeject from local storege sessionStorage.clear();//Delete all from session storage
Finally, this is a cheat sheet but I have to clarify something ... unless you need to save information that
- Is not at all sensitive
- Doesn’t need to be used in an ultra-high-performance app
- Isn’t larger than 5MB.
I don't recommend you to use any of this storages, and I will encourage you to read this post about it, because there are better options out there for your necessities.
Please Stop Using Local Storage
I wish you all lots of success and thank you for reading!!!
Top comments (0)