A while ago Scott Hanselman wrote a blog post about the amount of keystrokes you have left, and how to make them count. You can find it here
Fast forward to today and I have problems 😊
We pass information around internally using emails...
So many emails...
And they always get lost.
Which means that people ask for the same information again.
And so people end up typing that information again.
So, time to listen to Scott, remembering these points:
- When you are writing something that you recognise as information people are going to need in the future
- When you are typing more than a couple of lines of information for someone
- When you can get way more value from what you are doing sharing it to a larger group
Don't send it in an email!
Write a blog post
- Internal blog post for that information that shouldn't leave the company
- External if this is information that you think could help people outside of the company
Share the link to the post, instead of writing that email
And so that is what I have started to do. This blog post will be shared internally, as well as in my site to try and help people stop wasting those precious keypresses
Thank you Scott for the idea!