📩 We're sharing our most recent developer digest here on DEV! If you're interested in subscribing to monthly developer updates, sign up on our Docs page.
- Dashboard logs updates: The dashboard logs now have a streamlined two-column view, date grouping, and an Object ID filter. Try it out.
- We’re testing support for metered and tiered pricing in Stripe Checkout. If you’re interested, reach out to email@example.com to request access.
- We’ve improved the buyer experience for Checkout by reducing the initial render time by 65%, as well as adding better loading states for slower connections.
- Checkout and the Hosted Invoices page can now detect potential misspellings in a customer’s email domain and offer suggestions.
- New invoice error parameter: Invoice errors now include a payment_method_type parameter for quicker troubleshooting.
- You can quickly see accounts that have completed their onboarding under the new “Complete” tab in your Connect Dashboard.
- Canadian platforms can use separate charge and transfer flows as well as account debits for their domestic Custom and Express accounts.
- When cloning a payment method across connected accounts, you can now include a metadata parameter.
- Stripe is now available in Hungary.
Looking back at this unexpected year, we’re grateful to the hundreds of you who created guides, articles, and tools for other developers about using Stripe. Your work helps everyone get started faster, explore new features, and build better experiences for their customers—especially important when external factors pushed millions of businesses online this year in a matter of days to weeks. We want to thank you for being a part of the Stripe community in 2020 and we look forward to seeing you next year (hopefully IRL)!
Here were some of the most popular articles and tutorials from the community this year:
- Stripe with Jamstack: Build a complete subscription management system with the customer portal and Netlify Identity.
- Getting started with Stripe? Fireship.io walks you through payment basics with Stripe Checkout and Payment Intents.
- Stripe with Docker: Hibariya, one of our top open-source contributors, shows you a quick way to try out Stripe subscriptions on Stripe using Docker.
- A practical approach to API versioning: JJ Geewax presents a practical approach to understanding backward compatibility, versioning strategy, and how to strike a functional balance.
- Adjusting to remote work: Our November issue of Increment covered the shift to a remote mindset, including engineering and management practices for collaboration, productivity, and inclusivity on remote development teams.
- Career growth for engineers: Read Raylene Yung’s comprehensive Engineer’s Guide to Career Growth.
We’d love to learn what you would like to see more (or less) of in 2021. Please take this 3-minute survey to share your thoughts, or just reply to this email.
- Open-source + e-commerce: Watch the video from our workshop at GitHub’s FLOSS and Code event on how to use open-source resources to launch e-commerce sites for small business owners.
- Connect + Checkout for European payments: Learn how to use Connect and Checkout to accept payments from European customers in our latest developer office hours.
- Cloning payment methods to connected accounts: Charles Watkins, customer solutions engineer, walks through how to clone a payment method stored with a customer in a platform Stripe account to a connected account.
- GraphCMS + Checkout: In this four-part series, Stripe developer advocate CJ Avilla and GraphCMS developer advocate Jonathan Steele cover how to build a headless e-commerce application on Next.js backed by GraphCMS using Stripe Checkout for payments.
- Technical deep dive with RTÉ: Ireland’s most popular TV program, the Late Late Toy Show, gives an overview of the serverless stack they used for their record-breaking donation drive.
- Strapi and Magic tutorial: Walk through how to build an e-commerce store with Strapi, Magic and Stripe Checkout with Alex the Entreprenerd.
- Commerce.js demo and tutorial: Check out Commerce.js’s demo store and video tutorial on building an app with Commerce.js, Next.js, Netlify, and Stripe.
- Webiny and Next.js tutorial: Albiona Hoti shows how to integrate Stripe Checkout with Webiny’s CMS and Next.js.
- React tutorial: Learn how to create a custom form with the Stripe Elements for React package with Leigh Halliday.
- Shopify and Sorbet: Shopify reflects on a year of using Sorbet and shares how they use Sorbet’s static typing. Watch their video on The State of Ruby Static Typing at Shopify.
- Code with Jason podcast: Jason Swett chats with CJ Avilla, Stripe developer advocate, about integrating Stripe into web applications using Stripe Checkout.
- OSS project update: use-shopping-cart, a Stripe-powered React Hooks library for handling shopping cart state and logic, now supports the Prices API.
- GitHub ReadME project post: Nick DeJesus, lead maintainer of use-shopping-cart, shares his thoughts on a more empowering future for e-commerce.
- Thank you to our top open-source contributors this month: JDIZM (stripe-node); jerome1337 (stripe-go); mapreri (stripe-python); nickdnk (stripe-php); BallerIndustries (stripe-java), ritikbhatia (stripe-cli); KaanOzkan, reitermarkus, Morriar, jeffcarbs, fdr, gmacdougall (sorbet); hibariya, Nek-, queema (stripe-samples).
- Follow us at @StripeDev on Twitter for developer updates and answers to your technical questions. Let us know what you’re working on with the Stripe API!
- Subscribe to Stripe Developers on YouTube for developer office hours, live streams, and online workshops.
- Add us on DEV for how-to articles and past editions of the dev digest.
- We’d love to learn what you would like to see more (or less) of in 2021. Please take this 3-minute survey to share your thoughts, or just reply to this email.