Every client and every project is different. There is no checklist that fits every client and every project - at least not that I'm aware of!
But there are some basics that are necessary to get started with a new client.
I use Google Forms and here is what I ask new clients before making an offer for a project:
- Web/App/Other project or combination?
- If applicable: are domains already registered?
- If applicable: Name of registrar
- If applicable: Name of domain(s)
- If applicable: Do you have an existing host?
- If applicable: Should I take care of hosting? (charging included)
- Base data of company and client (Name, address, VAT-Id, and whatnot is required)
- Can I display this project in my portfolio?
- Upload of resources (Logo, other stuff)