DEV Community


Posted on

Engineering Manager, Data Platform, (Series C Startup)

Hirestarter's client is helping millions of people every month access high-quality legal research at an affordable price. Combining advanced machine learning, contextual understanding, and search technology with a beautiful and easy-to-use interface, the company's platform is disrupting the traditional legal research industry and improving access to justice across the country.

We are looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to lead the Data Platform team. In this critical role, you and your team will build the backend technology that powers all of the search and content systems.

The Data Platform team is an extremely talented group of backend and data engineers who build amazing search, recommendation, and content processing technology. As the leader of this team, you'll work closely to deliver new legal search experiences and data processing systems based on the latest NLP/Machine Learning technology.


Work closely with the product managers to define and manage technical road maps for the team.

Work with the architects, team leads, and ML experts to create solutions that meet business goals.

Work closely with Chief Technology Officer to investigate new technology and approaches to search that ensure the company's long-term technical advantage.

Recruit extremely talented and kind engineers to increase productivity and bandwidth.

Help to shape engineering culture as we scale, working with the CTO and other engineering leaders to adopt best practices to evolve the engineering management.

Roll up your sleeves about 25% of the time to help the team get stuff done or write code to prototype new approaches. The remaining 75% of the time, you'll help support your team and the company to produce amazing software.


Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field (Master's Degree a plus)

10+ years of experience working with backend technologies as an individual contributor and 3+ years managing a technical team.

Strong technical experience working in Python, Java, or Scala (or other JVM-based languages). We prefer candidates who have done significant work with JVM-based languages and know how to performance tune JVM-based systems.

You know how to conduct 1:1's, how to hire, and how to manage, mentor, and inspire engineers on your team. You have a servant leader mindset.

Experience with complex distributed data processing pipelines.

Experience working with search systems. In-depth, knowledge of Elasticsearch, in particular, will be very useful.

Experience building infrastructure in either AWS or GCPAn iterative, customer-first approach to software engineering.

Prior experience working in startups is a big plus.

The company offers:

A high-growth, well-funded startup that's changing how legal research is done at law firms large and small

Highly competitive compensation, meaningful equity, and strong benefits plan

Substantial autonomy and responsibility with opportunities to grow beyond your role as the company scales

A great work environment; we hire people who are kind and smart

An ambitious and experienced team working on big problems in search and data processing

Many opportunities to apply the latest in machine learning technology to legal search and data annotation

Top comments (0)