We just published this detailed comparison of the most popular commercial IP Geolocation APIs.
We looked at factors such as;
- Data quality — the accuracy of their geolocation data
- Data variety — threat intelligence data, proxy detection, carrier detection, tor detection
- API latency — we used a third party monitoring tool to monitor each API for 24 hrs. We sent a request every 30 seconds from 8 locations globally. Los Angeles - US, Miami - US, Montreal - Canada, Gravelines - France, Frankfurt - Germany, Singapore, Tokyo - Japan, Sydney - Australia.
- Global endpoints — whether the API has more than one endpoint in different locations for redundancy and high scalability.
- Cost — cost per million calls
- HTTPs support
- Rate limits
- Infrastructure/High Availability — we use
digto show if a provider is terminating on a single server with an A record
- Simplicity of Documentation
To measure API latency we setup status pages on updown.io for each API and monitored it for 24hrs. Updown sent a request every 30 seconds from 8 locations globally.
Feel free to reach out with feedback on your experiences using any of these services.