I'm Laura, I'm 26 and I'm mega excited to be here as an official School of Code 4.0 bootcamper! I've just finished my Markdown tutorial and wanted to practice my new skills straight away.
I try to be quite sporty and have played competitively in tennis, football and American football. I'm hoping to keep at least some of this up while working at home for 16 weeks and be as active as possible. I grew up in West Bromwich but now live in Tamworth with my fiancée Helen, who also codes from home and is loving it! We now have a shared office space called the Sunshine Room (because of the yellow walls!) where we can spend the day together but wear our soundproof headphones when we need to! 🎧 ☀️
I have been working for the police for the last year in Forensic Science, using a variety of techniques to identify fingerprints from crime scene evidence. I did enjoy the laboratory work, however once you've seen one bloody machete, you have seem them all unfortunately. The novelty wore off after a while and I found myself almost working back towards my 'roots' and becoming interested in game development and physics engines.
- I am a major geek and will happily spend any free time I have playing video games.
- The landscapes and details on some video games are just beautiful and it always makes me wonder how it's done and how I could do it. (Can we stop to think about Red Dead Redemption 2 for a moment and sit in awe at that scene?)
- Learning to play video games is a skill that can be developed and even envied - some children earn £2 million for winning at Fortnite!!
- Video games bring friends together and become something you have in common and can discuss.
- Video games show finally who is the best and who gets to Finish Him.
I have been really looking forward to starting School of Code since I read the email to say I've been accepted, and have been working my way through the Pre-Course Checklist to make sure I'm up to date and ready to go for the 21st!
See you soon! 👋