I haven’t seen a lot of desktop app content in discussions/articles on DEV, so I thought I’d start one! Just curious how others would approach the task.
- You cannot use Electron
- The GUI is decoupled from other app code and communicates via some local RPC/API
- You can use commercially licensed libraries/frameworks
I’m currently involved in maintaining an existing cross-platform desktop app, and have been thinking about some different approaches:
- Serve the GUI as a locally hosted site. Users interact with the app’s GUI in the browser of their choice.
- Separate codebases: use Cocoa/native libraries for Mac, Qt for Linux, WPF for Windows.
- Single codebase: Use Qt or wxWidgets for all platforms. (This is the approach I use today)
So... how would you do it? What choices would you make?