I happened to vanilla installed Arch Linux + incomplete KDE and several eye candies.
- Remove secure boot
rfkill unblock wifi
- Install btrfs, i.e. "better fs"
- Install NetworkManager. No, there won't be iwctl or
NetworkManager, if you don't install it.
- User management and install
- Install GRUB, but switch to refind later, with
cp /etc/os-release /boot/etc/os-release
- Install yay. I know that Ubuntu / Debian do have
apt search, but
yay -Qssearches the whole AUR and looks more powerful
- Install missing drivers
- Install not only plasma, but also
kde-applications, just to uninstall many later. (Also installed
sddm. Liked better than
yay -Rc $(pacman -Qsq kde game) konsole dolphin konquerer kmail yay -S terminator thunar chromium vscodium-bin vscodium-bin-marketplace
- Does anyone really use Konquerer / Epiphany, BTW?
- Editing Plasma desktop (KDE) to look like GNOME / Xfce.
- Edit SDDM with Arch theme
- Edit icons as deem fit, by editing
~/.local/share/application/**/*.desktopand finding the icons
find /usr/share/icons -iname '*.png'
- Change Mail application to
[Desktop Entry] Comment[en_US]= Comment= Exec=xdg-open https://mail.zoho.com/zm/#compose GenericName[en_US]= GenericName= Icon=internet-mail MimeType= Name[en_US]=Email in browser Name=Email in browser Path= StartupNotify=true Terminal=false TerminalOptions= Type=Application X-DBUS-ServiceName= X-DBUS-StartupType= X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false X-KDE-Username=
Doesn't have to be Arch. Might be i3wm or Openbox or something else. Care to share your customization?
(BTW, I don't know if I will survive if I tried non-
systemd, like Artix.)